Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Starting Over

Yes it's week 2 of the New Year! For those of you who are in starting over mood welcome to the club.

If you're like me and got your resolutions done mid-week of the first week of the year it means you were already behind the game. You started bright and early Thursday morning - January 6th 2011, determined to get a start on the new year before it gets too old.

Then Monday January 10th, 2011 rolls around. You've fallen off the wagon and need to start all over again. Have no fear, that is exactly what life is about and that is why I focused on goals for my new year's resolutions rather than resolutions themselves.

I know at the beginning of 2010 we discussed these differences, but maybe it's wise every year to recall this simple fact.

Having a resolution - "I'm going to lose weight this year" is NOT going to be achieved. Your plan should be: Goal - Loose 10 lbs; Strategy - new meal plan (a detail the meal plan please), exercise for 40 mins of aerobic activity 4 times a week. I guarantee that if you stick to that plan you may actually "loose the weight this year".

Sometimes when you break things down into little pieces it's easier to pick them back up when they start to fall. Last year I was successful at loosing 20 lbs!!!! not because I made a New Year's Resolution "I want to lose weight" No!! I lost 20lbs because I had a plan. I had goals that consisted of a new eating regime, structured exercise program and monitoring.

The plan was broken down into little pieces so even if I did slip in one area I was able to pick it up easily. My goal for exercise was to exercise for 40 mins, 5 days a week. I knew I had to do 40 mins and it had to be done 5 days a week. Now I could have been a hero and do the full 200 mins in one day and end my week right there. But there were days that I had to do 20 mins in the morning, 20 mins in the evening. If you have a TARGET you know how to PLAN. See the words I'm using.

Imagine your new resolution is a game - you are given either a pound of gravel in your hand or a slab of concrete and you have to carry everything that was put in your arms to the end of the finish line(the end of the year).
Now obviously as you walk along the path gravel will begin to fall out of your hand. Because the gravel is so small you can bend down very quickly and pick up those that fall and continue on your journey. However if you were carrying the slab of concrete and it falls out of your hands it may very well stay right there and you will just not accomplish the goal of crossing the finish line with your slab of concrete.

It may seem annoying to always be bending down to pick up little stones here and there, but you're more likely to get to the end of the year with at least SOME gravel in your hand versus no concrete slab. If you even attempt to walk with that slab of concrete all year you would probably drop it by month two which is usually the case for most "grand" new year's resolutions.

As the good old professor used to say "KISS" (Keep It Simply Stupid!!)

Have a wonderful year! And keep at those resolutions!



No comments: